The Eye of the Storm

Falling into hard times is a part of human life. No matter your position in life, whether a seventh-grade student struggling to make friends or an aspiring author with a terrible case of writer’s block, hardship will befall you at some point.

Reactions to obstacles vary, due to the variety in personalities. Some brave humans will face disaster head-on, some (looking at you, Alexander Hamilton) will worsen the problem with an unnecessary sacrifice, and some back away and search for a solution. In both cases, the latter was my only option. My lack of confidence as a seventh grader led to a gradually worsening form of regret, and simply trying to write failed miserably.

Using the seventh grade example, I managed to shut out my feeling of doubt that my few good friends could respect me, a wall which fell down quickly. The wrong people tried to force me into an unhealthy friendship, and there were tears. Eventually, I reached the realization that my actions would no longer change the outcome. Letting myself gradually make choices about who I wanted to befriend was extremely empowering. Rap music and singing produced another outlet, and I (mysteriously devoid of stage fright) rapped in front of my class on the last day of school.

While my uninvolvement in a particular (admittedly nonthreatening) problem cannot apply to every issue, remind yourself not to try to carry the world on your shoulders. Find solace in art, music, religion, writing, literature, sports, even social media. Take a lesson from a seventh-grade friend of mind and see the world’s problems as fixable, view some parts of life through a positive lens. Additionally, take a lesson from another fellow classmate and avoid using “flat Earth” as your outlet. Science and education, as proven by a favorite teacher, will win. You are a strong person, and you will by default leave a legacy. Choose to leave a helpful, positive, healing memory.

Comments